Today’s post is about items I have replaced with healthier alternatives in our home. I am slowly getting away from harmful chemicals and trying to live more simple and eco-friendly.
I love Extra Virgin Olive Oil. I use it to replace 3 items in my home. I use it as a makeup remover, body oil and hair treatment/conditioner. It works so well, with no harsh chemicals.
Instead of dryer sheets I use a wool dryer ball. I still get static free clothing, but no added fragrances or chemicals on our clothes. I got a 3 pack at Walmart for $6.00.
I make homemade dish liquid. I use 1/2 cup liquid castile soap, 1/8 cup water, 1 tsp. vinegar and 4 drops of orange essential oil. I mix together and it works great!
Household cleaners can make me ill. I get headaches and I start coughing. So I make my own out of vinegar, water, baking soda and essential oils. Here are a few of my recipes…
All Purpose Cleaner (Spray Bottle)
1 cup water 1 cup white vinegar 15 drops of orange or lemon essential oil
Glass Cleaner (Spray Bottle)
I just put water in the spray bottle and use a Microfiber Towel.
I just use a microfiber towel. If something is sticky, I dampen a towel to wipe it up and immeditely go over it with a dry microfiber towel.
I sprinkle Baking soda in the toilet and follow with a cup of white vinegar. Let it fizz down and scrub.
I make a paste of baking soda and water for scrubbing. Rinse with water after.
I use a Swiffer Wet Jet Mop. I use microfiber cloths for the pads and I am able to get the tops off the bottle to refill the cleaner with my all purpose solution.
I have also replaced plastic straws with reusable ones.
Items I am working on replacing
1) Paper Towels: I am slowly getting cloth napkins to replace paper towels.
2) Plastic grocery bags: I use old tshirts to make bags and I use boxes or baskets to load my groceries into when I go to Aldi.
3) Storage Bags/Ziplocs: I am buying more glass storage containers and looking at reusable food bags for outings and my daughter’s lunch box.
4) Detergent: Want to make my own.
5) Trash/Recycle: I am using my recycle bin and reducing my trash. I would love to replace my plastic trash bags. This is a work in progress as I am trying to reduce my processed foods.
I am enjoying looking at ways to make life simpler with less products and more eco-friendly by replacing harsh chemicals in our home.
I am excited that my blog almost has 160 followers! Thank you all for stopping by. Have a great day