Good Afternoon 😊
Today’s post is about 4 things you should never do to your child with Autism. I am certain there are more than 4 things, but these were at the top of the list.
1) Never talk about them like they are not in the room (when they are in the room). This one is hard for me sometimes. If I am upset or stressed I just start talking. I am trying to work on this flaw. Just because your child has Autism doesn’t mean they can’t hear you. I know Chloe seems to hear and remember everything! It’s out of respect for them.
2) Don’t blame Autism for everything they do. Sometimes you have to look at their behavior and decide is it Autism or typical behavior of whatever age your child is. When it comes to developmental delays you also must take that into account. Chloe may be 9 years old, but developmentally she is younger. Don’t put a label on them.
3) Don’t allow anyone to tell them having Autism is a “Bad Thing” or that they are “Broken “. I never want Chloe to think bad of herself. It’s like Temple Grandin says ” They are different, not less”.
4) Don’t keep your child home because it’s hard for them out in the world. This one can be tough, especially if you are without help. The only way they are going to learn how to act out in the world is to get out there. Here are a few tips to help:
* Take snacks, drinks and comfort items with you.
* Make outings short.
* Get out early before places get busy.
* Have help if possible.
If you have any more tips to add please do so in the comments. I hope these suggestions help.
Have a wonderful afternoon 😊